When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
As part of Life Sciences Solutions, one of the largest operating segments in the company, you will be responsible for developing and executing on the internal and external communications strategies for the company’s Biosciences Division (BID), directly supporting the President of the division and the division leadership team. Reporting to the Vice President of Global Marketing for BID with a matrix reporting to the Life Sciences Solutions internal communication function, the Director of Communications, BID, will develop and execute the division’s PR and media strategies to create and uphold a leadership image for the Thermo Scientific BID solutions and brands across all earned media and social influencers in order to create market identity, customer awareness, and mind share. The Director will also develop and execute the BID internal communication strategy, leveraging appropriate external collateral with a focus on key communication programs, leadership messaging, storytelling and activities to help employees within the division better understand the division strategy, drive engagement, and help them connect to both the work within the division and across Thermo Fisher.
What will you do?
This role guides, develops and drives execution of the overall Biosciences Division external and internal communications strategies. The role will work with external PR/media agencies to pitch and generate new business opportunities, and collaborate closely with the broader Life Sciences Solutions employee communications team on internal communications campaigns. We’re looking for someone who has had success in managing all aspects of PR - from story creation to pitching to amplification and tie-ins with social media, and understands how to leverage that content internally to drive employee engagement. The position will analyze PR campaign results and course-correct tactics as needed to provide the greatest ROI. The individual in this role will also bring their internal communications experience to the forefront and be able to provide a balanced focus to both external and internal communications – ensuring that all stakeholders understand the value of the BID portfolio.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring success of the internal and external communications strategies that enhance the image of the BID brands in the marketplace and drive engagement among employees, connecting employees to the company Mission, the business and each other.
- Develop and execute strategic external PR and internal communications plans and programs that support near-term business priorities and long-term growth objectives, refining when required to address specific opportunities and challenges. Ensures these plans align with other paid media plans and broader internal communications and cultural initiatives as applicable.
- Provide strategic counsel in close coordination with internal stakeholders and external PR/media agency teams and external stakeholders to manage proactive and reactive communications.
- Provide executive level internal communications support for BID leadership, including developing and executing a strategy for cascading leadership messages to the right audiences at the right times, and establishing a consistent and effective platform for the BID President to communicate to the global BID audience throughout the year.
- Critical involvement in driving inspirational story generation and dissemination throughout the business to inspire and engage BID employees in the future of the organization, the promise of BID technology and its impact on customers and society.
- Partner with the change management communications function on any internal change communications initiatives to ensure aligned messaging and approaches.
- Amplify and integrate with other communication channels and mechanisms for maximum impact (e.g. social media, corporate content, internal events, internal channels, thought leadership partnerships, etc.)
- Works closely with product management, market development, channel marketing, digital marketing, external public relations agencies and/or writer/contractors to enhance BID’s image and increase product/services visibility and reputation
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key media contacts at international, business, regional and trade industry publications, both print and digital. Publish timely divisional information, such as press releases, application stories, contributed articles, internal stories, team success highlights and other materials.
- Drive external media activities at key trade shows and events and ensure internal promotion of these events to drive engagement
- Partner closely with the HR team on key cultural initiatives such as the annual employee survey and action planning process
- Minimum 7-10 years PR/media and communications experience in a scientific industry (agency, in-house, or a combination) with a track record of conducting successful proactive internal and external communications programs that employ creativity and use of a variety of tools, forums, media and metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
- Digital marketing experience required.
- Must be both familiar with and comfortable talking about both products and science.
- Combination of strategic and creative thinker and first rate hands on tactician
- Strong relationships with reporters and journalists at scientific media and technology publications. Plus to have pre-existing relationships with reporters at business and technology-focused media as well.
- Articulate and persuasive communicator with strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience managing outside agencies to maximize agency output and working with freelancers.
- Ability to work cross functionally and cross business with diverse teams.
- Experience in fast-moving environment coupled with strong prioritization capabilities.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to interview, extract, assimilate and present information
- Superior business writing and editing skills.
- Experience in social media platforms, intranet content development and other communication technology to share content.
- Strong story-teller, script-writer and content developer.
- Good selling skills to market ideas and influence directly and indirectly.
- Acts as a BID spokesperson to the media, for internal audiences and advocacy groups.
- Ability to interact with executive-level and market influencers on a global scale, communicating division and company messaging.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com