When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The successful candidate will be responsible for the scale up, maintenance, and troubleshooting of various hybdridoma cell lines. Previous direct experience in antibody development, characterization and scale up methods is required. Knowledge skills in antibody purification, conjugation, immunoprecipitation, immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, and ELISA-based assays are essential. This role will spend the majority of their time identifying, initiating and implementing high value continuous improvement and cost saving hybridoma cell culture projects for manufacturing. The ideal candidate will establish best practices for hybridoma scale up and method and process validation, and document process development activities and tech transfer protocols. Facilitate the technology transfer to downstream manufacturing group and provide training and support to manufacturing. Experience with process automation is highly desirable. Additional responsibilities include preparing protocols for experiments of simple to moderate complexity without supervision, preparing technical reports, and summaries of assigned projects. Must be comfortable performing bench science, and in self-direction of work plans and experimental procedures. This position requires the ability to influence without direct authority by utilizing training, experience and people/leadership skills to achieve the goals relative to safety, quality, delivery and cost. To be successful, the individual must serve as a role model leader for the 4I values of Integrity, Involvement, Innovation and Intensity.
What will you do?
- Identify best practices and establish standardized procedures related to hybridoma scale up process validation and statistical requirements.
- Design and execute experimental studies based on the deliverables. Ability to analyze and summarize the data and provide complete documentation
- Lead and complete improvement or root cause analysis projects with a high degree of complexity and scope that provide safety and quality improvements, decrease lead time, and reduce costs.
- Create or develop content for training on hybridoma technology for production of monoclonal antibodies and scale up methods.
- Works cross-functionally to efficiently release products, resolve problems and provide support to other departments across the organization (e.g., R&D, Quality Assurance, Planning, Quality Control, etc.). The ideal candidate is expected to effectively interact with members of numerous project teams and present experimental results at team meetings and seminars.
- Stay current on the latest programs and literature related to hybridoma development and characterization by reading articles or books, attending conferences, and participating in associated communities of interest.
- Other projects/duties as assigned.
How will you get here?
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in hybridoma development and scale up processes and possess in-depth knowledge on the theory and application of hybridoma cloning and characterization techniques and the accompanying instrumentation.
- B.S. in a science or engineering discipline, expert in statistical analysis, with greater than 8 years of post-academic experience and a record of significant contributions to the business
- Or, M.S. in a science or engineering discipline, expert in statistical analysis, with greater than 3 years of post-academic experience and a record of significant contributions to the business
- Certification from ASQ or other accredited society in related field (e.g., Certified Quality Engineer, Six Sigma Black Belt, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Expert knowledge in Design of Experiments (DOE), Measurement System Analysis, Statistical Process Control (SPC), and other statistical tools.
- A thorough understanding of general laboratory techniques, various manufacturing processes, test methods, and instrumentation utilized in Carlsbad Operations and R&D.
- Experience performing cost of goods and cost saving analysis.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interpersonal interactions to promote initiatives and to successfully manage projects.
- Good writing skills for preparing experimental plans, presenting statistical analysis results, operating procedures, and project reports/presentations.
- Must be a flexible team player capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and assuming many different roles depending on the situation and circumstances.
Ability to effectively influence without direct authority and effectively delegate as needed.
- Ability to lift up-to 20 pounds
Hazardous Waste Generation/Management: Associates in this position may, as part of their job activities, generate or manage hazardous waste as defined by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. Individuals in this position are required to receive initial hazardous waste training within the first 30 working days of assignment. The initial waste training shall include but not be limited to the following general categories: Identifying hazardous and solid waste, hazardous waste management, recycling, treatment and disposal, emergency preparedness, record keeping, pollution prevention and waste reduction. Following initial training the Associate in this position will receive annual refresher training in the same topic field as listed above. Associate should be comfortable working frequently with organics, including flammable solvents, strong acids/bases, potential biohazards (including raw animal serums), large scale bacterial cultures, and hazardous chemicals.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com