Operations Manager, BPF Second Shift
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Our Global Chemicals business has exceptional growth potential. Global Chemicals was built from several acquisitions and provides a full range of analytical reagents and discovery chemicals to Thermo Fisher’s core research markets worldwide. Global Chemicals has been identified as a strategic growth area for the company with expansion opportunities in the US, Europe and developing markets, particularly Asia. Global Chemicals has 14 operational facilities in the US, Europe, and Asia, and sells a significant portion of its products through Thermo Fisher customers channels group in major Western markets.
The Bridgewater Packaging Facility Manager Second Shift is a critical role in Global Chemicals. This position provides leadership by overseeing all functions and employees in the Value Stream. With a focus on continuous improvement, this is a great opportunity to make an impact in a high profile segment of our growing business.
- Responsible for day to day Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost Leadership throughout the Bridgewater Packaging Facility on the second shift. Instill voice of customer throughout each process to ensure all Operations have the customer requirement in mind, every day for every job.
- Maintains a safe work environment, a high level of safety awareness among associates, and implements 5S principles.
- Mentors and develops second shift employees (approximately 30). Listens, supports, engages and encourages employee suggestions and input to achieve excellent results.
- Optimize sequencing, setup, layout, and job execution to produce a quality product efficiently and achieve daily production targets. Record and report daily metrics within the Daily Visual Management System.
- Ensure all manufacturing orders are followed through to a completed status with accuracy and variance review as it pertains to their department and in accordance with all engineering specifications.
- Track worker performance by performing regular Gemba walks and responding to problems immediately.
- Document standard work/SOPs and provide continuous feedback to team members to assure all are adhering to procedures and striving for continuous improvement and alignment with the objectives.
- Manage preventative maintenance program in the production area to ensure all PMs are completed on-time.
- Ensure proper initial and cross training is performed to a satisfactory standard and ensure proper cross training to avoid capacity delays. Identify all additional training needs and requirements and execute all necessary training requirements.
- Monitors, reviews, and improves manufacturing and quality related activities and drives corrective and preventative actions. Focuses team on using standardized work practices.
- Helps the value stream leader manage expenses to meet budgets and financial objectives.
- Maintains proper staffing levels of all roles on shift, scheduling and organizing work assignments within the company policies and procedures.
- Performs all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics and the ThermoFisher 4-I Values (Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement)
- Performs all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory or statutory requirements.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience with 3 years of people leadership working experience in a chemical manufacturing / pharmaceutical environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or chemistry is required.
- Strong leadership experience and decision-making ability.
- Previous experience handling flammable solvents and dangerous good is preferred.
- Possess a continuous process improvement mindset with the ability to effectively lead and manage change.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working conditions require the ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb stairs, and work at a computer station and on manufacturing shop floor.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.