The Production Planner is responsible for planning and managing production schedules to meet customer delivery requirements to best utilize the company’s productive capacity as well as managing strategic inventory levels. The Production Planner participates in negotiations with manufacturing to implement proactive production philosophies (Campaigns, Rhythm Wheels, Finite Scheduling, and Capacity Utilization), strategies, policies, and procedures for successful integration into multiple business plans across various corporate departments. Additionally, a Production Planner may be responsible for preparing data and analyzing inventory trends, capacity requirements, external and internal key performance metrics, and proposing process improvement and the generation or management of key reports, metrics, and projects. This is a service position and is responsive to the needs of internal and external (suppliers) customers. Role may include cross-functional team participation.
Minimum Qualifications (must have)
- Knowledge of supply planning processes, evaluating capacity models, smoothing production loads, exploiting constraints.
- Understand planning policies and procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of business concepts/principles (terms and conditions, transportation, accounting)
- Knowledge of supply chain programs (Campaigns, Rhythm Wheels, Advanced Supply Chain Planning, Finite Scheduling) and ability to manage project execution of these programs.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, and implementing strategic and optimal production plans for 600+ MTS SKUs.
- MRP knowledge and ERP experience in a high-velocity manufacturing environment.
- Advises on availability dates to Demand Planning and/or Customer Service
- Evaluate key performance indicators and planning parameters to drive improvements through strategy adjustments.
- Monitors production performance and assures that MRP parameters are in line with demonstrated performances.
- Communicates effectively with manufacturing managers, supervisors, and schedulers to assure production plans and schedules.
- Recognize problems, analyze and recommend solutions.
- Optimize supply chain to minimize waste (muda).
- Negotiates with the manufacturing team to develop strategies to meet planning targets.
- Manage new part release planning data and participate in New Product Initiative teams.
- Participate in planning performance metrics: Work in Progress-WIP and finished goods inventory levels, customer service levels, work order management performance, Manufacturing (MFG) capacity, and quality metrics.
- Process improvement capability.
- All other duties as required or assigned.
Nature and Scope:
- Uses skills as an experienced professional with an understanding of industry practices and company policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
- Participates with other managers to establish programs, policies, and objectives.
- Must demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers.
- The Production Planner is responsible for the effective production of materials to meet the needs Thermo Fisher Scientific customer base, internal and external.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies.
- Selects methods and techniques of obtaining solutions to problems of relatively routine to diverse scope and moderate to highly complexity, requiring analysis of identifiable factors.
- Has contact with all levels of company employees. Negotiates and exchanges information with all levels of management.
- Drives a strategic vision of production through a diverse set of stakeholders including manufacturing, planning, scheduling, quality, and facilities.
- Works and communicates with external business partners on subject matter that can carry significant impacts to the business.
- Performs assignments independently with instructions from management limited to results expected.
- Able to manage and prioritize own time.
- Provides feedback and periodic updates to managers on status of goal/project assignments.
- Bachelors in business or technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years business experience, CPIM certification preferred
- Advanced skills in Excel and JD Edwards and/or SAP ERP and/or other ERP system
- Experience in working towards Lean production ideals
- Works in an office environment. Must be able to work overtime and flexible shifts.
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have)
- APICS CPIM certification or equivalent
- Experience building and installing VBA macros to address administrative task management
- Project management experience