When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Senior Software Engineer II is a recognized leader within in one strategic domain with expert knowledge in at least a second domain. Considers domain and risks, customer expectations and Return on Investment, and delivers performant and quality application features that exceed our customer's expectations. Demonstrates leadership on teams and projects.
- Owns a major technology or common shareable feature across several projects
- Influences team and domain direction to achieve project goals
- Authors, reviews and approves requirements and designs for projects related to large teams. Contributes to and guides architectural decisions
- Assists peers with even the most difficult programming and debugging issues.
- Recognized as an expert and acts within the team as "go to person."
- Investigates, proposes and solves complex algorithmic and optimization issues
- Authors white papers and publishes knowledge to Core.
- Evangelizes key technologies
- Consistently delivers end-to-end solutions
- Anticipates process and measurement solutions that will meet the current and future needs of the company
- Domain risk assessment
- Acts as planning consultant and makes recommendations mindful of Return on Investment
- Actively shares knowledge through peer mentoring, shared resources and informal teachings.
- Learns from other team members, but contributes and enforces best practices.
- Mentors engineers and provides technical expertise
- May direct a domain or provide direction and technical supervision to teams
- BS or MS in engineering, computer science, or a related discipline; or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience and industry experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized individual with team and entrepreneurial spirit
- In-depth knowledge of Java
- Strong working knowledge of platforms: Linux, AWS, Windows, Oracle
- Tools: IDEs, Atlassian
- Requirements and design writing skills
- Test case writing skills
- Codes software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements and external customers
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, well designed, and testable, performant and secure.
- Identify system bugs and bottlenecks, and resolve using effective solutions
- Execute full software development, contributing in all
- Ability to solve challenging technical problems and to support multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently
- Performance tuning expertise
- Security risk assessment and abatement expertise
- Continuous delivery
- Infrastructure as code
- Datastores (not just RDBMS)
- Transactional integrity and messaging
- UX and Web-based UIs
- Customer needs and user experiences
- Requirements engineering
- Testing, debugging and monitoring of distributed services
- Static code analysis
- Runtime monitoring
- Effective presentation and public speaking
- Experience with microservices, virtualization and containers
- Exposure to Laboratory science, workflows, culture and instrumentation
- Experience in the Life sciences, biotech and pharmaceutical industry
- Contributions to open source community
- Participation in local and virtual communities such as conferences, and meetups.