At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Job Title: Supervisor, Finance
Reports to: Director, Finance
Group / Division: LSG/LPD
Career Band: 6
Job Family: Finance
Job Sub Family: FP&A
Job Code: FNC.FPAA.M06
Job Track: Management
Position Location: Asheville, NC
Number of Direct Reports: 2
We seek a Finance professional with solid experience of manufacturing operations to join our expanding FP&A team and support Operations leadership. The successful candidate will lead two direct reports and drive business decisions through effective cost and inventory analysis and communication with senior management. This position will be based at our flagship manufacturing, distribution and service business located in Asheville, NC.
- Develop local finance staff and drive continuous improvement and standardization
- Provide accurate, timely costing and inventory information to support business decisions
- Calculation of Warranty reserves and analysis of warranty trends
- Review and update product costs related to Engineering Change Orders.
- Work with Engineering and Value Stream leaders to identify and correct BOM and router errors
- Analyze financial data generated from shop floor transactions, including a large sheet-metal Fabrication area, and develop corrective actions as needed
- Lead the preparation of financial reports for Operations management to include factory productivity and output, overhead recovery, analysis of capitalized variances, inventory days of supply, cycle count accuracy and excess & obsolete inventory
- Lead the Annual Standard Cost roll process, ensuring costs are reconciled to Annual Operating Plan (AOP) targets
- Review and develop standard work to ensure variances arising from purchase prices and work orders are investigated and any necessary corrective actions implemented
- Support the planning, preparation and execution of the annual Physical Inventory (PI) count. Understand and report out the root cause of any inventory adjustments
- Assist with development and presentation of monthly and quarterly business reviews and Annual Operating Plan (AOP)
- Assist with month-end close activities
- Enforce adherence to Divisional Approval Authority Matrix and corporate accounting policies
- Other duties as assigned
This role will work closely with the site FP&A team and local Operations leadership.
- Clear understanding of operating and cost drivers, with the ability to translate and interpret these within financial results
- Excellent communication skills: ability to present analytical results in verbal and written form
- Strong problem solving, data analysis and teamwork skills are essential
- Ability to work cross-functionally with individuals and teams
- Experience with Cognos or similar reporting packages highly desirable
Other Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business related. MBA Preferred
- 3-5 years of progressive material, labor, inventory and cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment
- Advanced Excel skills (3 – 5+) years of experience. Specific abilities include V-Look-Ups, What-If statements and data filters to draw solid business conclusions and spot emerging trends
- Ability to perform effectively under pressure and to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and team oriented environment
- Self-motivated with high bias for action
This position has NOT been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.