Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes. These high-end tools are being produced in our cleanrooms in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
Corporate organization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
Inside the TEM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
How to make a microscope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
The installation of a TEM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The Global Technical Support Manager Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) is member of the Global Technical Support (GTS) group, stationed in Eindhoven. This group is responsible for worldwide 3rd line support on TEM products and provides input for product and process improvements of TEM products. The issues encountered at 3rd line support also form the basis for service documentation improvements and service requirements for new products.
The GTS Manager TEM is responsible for managing the GTS department in Eindhoven, a team of 24 people including managers, with a variety of functions
- Deliver technical assistance to the worldwide field service organization on TEM tools;
- Interface with other central service functions – logistics, training and documentation to improve the delivery of service and technical support
- Provide input and direction for service features in new products and aid in their deployment.
- Drive structural improvements through Continuous Improvements Projects.
- Working within the global technical service council to improve the operation and efficiency of global technical support
- Function as a bridge between the field service group and the factory, providing insight and communication
The GTS Manager TEM is somebody who gets things done and is very creative in finding solutions to be more effective and efficient. In order to successfully do so, this manager has close relations with colleagues from many different departments: Field Service, Corporate Technology, Operational Engineering, Manufacturing, Product Marketing and Application. He/she can work independently under stress-situations (time-pressure, expectations), understands the importance of customer satisfaction, and succeeds through dedication, can deal with ambiguity, shows enthusiasm, has the technical capabilities and succeeds in enabling a network of expert people within FEI.
Specific deliverables associated with this opportunity include:
- People management of 2 managers and some individual contributors(Bachelor, Master level)
- Worldwide communicate on technical escalations TEM and align with Field Service Managers
- Involve other departments (R&D, Engineering, Manufacturing) if needed to solve technical escalations on TEM
- Report to higher management status of technical escalations on TEM
- Provide field data as input for structural improvements and for new TEM products, define appropriate actions and involve critical stakeholders
- Drive improvement project involving other departments based upon this field data
- Maintain and improve content of TEM Service Documentation in close cooperation with other departments
- Review, test service deliverables (training, service documentation) from new products, owner..
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- University/Bachelor degree in technical field, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required skills.
- Experience in high-tech industry environment in service, development or manufacturing
- At least 6 years of people management expertise in a similar complex multidisciplinary low volume high tech environment.
- Very good skills in communicating, persuading, inspiring, developing and motivating are required in order to interact with peers and to management.
- The ability to report back in clear language to levels in the organization.
- Service attitude, customer focused.
- Analytical and process oriented way of thinking and able to express this in clear communication
- Experience with demanding customers and understanding of the importance of customer relations.
- Self-starter who is also highly productive when not supervised.
- Travel requirements (0 - 10%)
- Fluent in English (verbal and in writing); other language skills are an asset.