When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Project Manager (PM) and Scrum Master (SM), who is also very skilled in project management techniques, will be a key contributor to successful new software product development through dynamic leadership of project teams from concept planning through market introduction, and beyond. The PM will work in close collaboration with Software Development, Product Evaluation and Product Marketing to develop the project schedule and will be accountable for the overall delivery of the product. This role will also be responsible for identifying risks and managing those through risk mitigation techniques. They would also provide visibility and transparency to the organization at various points of the product lifecycle.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Guide a cross functional team through the full development lifecycle, from requirements identification and prototyping, through design and implementation, to customer acceptance and delivery
- Drive Agile/SCRUM processes to meet customer expectations
- Lead Agile project teams to achieve a high-level of performance
- Identify resources needed and assign individual task responsibilities
- Work in a distributed environment to coordinate with various projects to meet overall project deliverable
- Present the status of projects and phase gate reviews to upper management
- Identify risks and develop risk mitigation strategies to efficiently meet business needs
- Maintain a healthy team culture, identifying and resolving issues and conflicts both within the project team and the overall product development group proactively
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope
- Clearly communicate project methodology within the team and implement project standards
- Track project milestones and deliverables
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, accurate, and stored appropriately.
- Verify compliance with Quality Assurance processes
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis to set and manage project expectations and maintain alignment with project deliverables and team member expectations
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong understanding and applied experience with Agile and lean development principles and practices
- Expert in SDLC technologies
- Strong technical command of project management tools such as Rally, TFS or JIRA
- A consistent track record of success managing software development within a high technology industry required; previous work experience as a Software Developer in a Lead or Manager role is strongly preferred
- Certified Scrum Master who has experience coaching fellow Scrum Masters
- Experience in managing teams in the development of large-scale, highly dependent systems required
- Bachelor’s degree related to computer science, software development, or physical science required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the software development industry desired
- Experience working for a scientific instruments manufacturer is preferred (Mass Spec experience is very desirable)
- Well versed in various software development processes
- Have had experience in software development as a developer and have the capability to understand high level architectural concepts
- Ability to formulate and present clear and persuasive presentations, proposals, and project plans
- Flexible during times of change with the ability to navigate and resolve ambiguity
- Any scientific experience with Mass Spectrometry is a plus
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Five years direct work experience in a software project management capacity, including all aspects of product development and execution for large-scale, highly dependent systems is required
- A leader: persuasive, encouraging, and motivating, with the ability to inspire others, defuse tension, and create “win-win” outcomes required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to coach, mentor, and motivate project team members and to liaise effectively with senior management and project stakeholders required
Desirable Hiring Criteria:
- Experience in recognizing when the conditions for practicing Agile within an organization are less than ideal and adapting Agile practices when necessary to fit those conditions
- Understanding the trade-offs and compromises required to practice Agile in a highly regulated industry
- Experience in documenting Agile practices in Work Instructions or Operating Procedures and cooperating and negotiating with other Scrum Masters in the development of those practices
This role is based at the Thermo Fisher facility in Austin, TX.
This position is not approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com