Job Title: Electronics Engineer - Existing Product Development (EPD)
Reports To: Team Lead Sustaining Engineering
Group/Division: Specialty Diagnostics Group/Anatomical Pathology Division
Career Band: 5
A member of the Sustaining Engineering Team offering electrical and electronic design solutions for established products and during new product introduction. Working alongside and supporting the Senior Electronics Engineer. Using Pro-Engineer / PADS CAD systems and data management tools to carry out electronic design changes including the associated drawings and documentation. Fast paced multi-disciplined office environment requires excellent communication / interaction across related departments such as Quality, Production Engineering, Assembly and Sourcing etc. Assisting with production line issues to ensure business deliverables and deadlines are met.
- Support/maintain/redesign existing products using good engineering practice and regulatory standards
- Produce engineering change specs in company database to define change details for ECOs
- Perform the work required on electronics-related engineering changes on existing products, e.g. cableform CAD, Schematic capture and layout of circuit designs in order to maintain production designs.
- Assess electronics-related parts and assemblies for RoHS or other directives and regulations as required.
- Find fit / form / function equivalents for electrical and electronics-related parts that become obsolete, including obsolescence due to RoHS or other directives and regulations.
- Maintain the CSA/UL/MET/INTERTEC or other approvals on existing products, work with the certification agencies, provide the correct data and coordinate the supply of any samples required.
- Maintain the EMC approvals on existing products, coordinate any re-testing as required.
- Provide prompt technical support as required for all production lines.
- Design, build and document safe test rigs for production use.
- Define and document processes for external manufacture and test of PCBAs and wiring harnesses.
- Product Integration: Assist in the data capture and transfer process involved in moving a production line into the AP-Runcorn facility, focusing on the electronics and test aspects of the process.
- PCBA and cableform transfer: Assist in the transfer of PCB and cable assemblies from one supplier to another, ensuring that there is no loss in production by providing technical support during the process and ensuring that adequate production testing is provided for each assembly.
- Undertake to repair / re-work PCBAs to required standards as required.
- Provide information and advice for inclusion in Operating Manuals, Service Manuals, Sales literature and Training materials.
- Degree in electrical/ electronic engineering or equivalent
- Significant experience of engineering design-support including electronics CAD experience e.g. Cableform CAD, Schematic capture and layout required in lieu of degree; HNC/HND preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications preferred along with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to follow through on tasks to completion
- High degree of initiative
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced MS Office skills and experience of ERP and MRP systems
- Good interpersonal skills
- Design experience of working to standards and approvals.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Current working knowledge of a range of PCB and semiconductor technologies.
- Full Driving License.
- Occasional UK and global travel may be required.