Job Title: Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
Requisition ID: 66306BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
ThermoFisher’s Materials and Structural Analysis Division is a leading supplier of nanotechnology equipment enabling research, development and manufacture of products at the Nanoscale. Our range of industry-leading focused ion and electron beam hardware and software products are delivered to four primary technology markets: Electronics, Research, Industry and Biology. With R&D centers in North America and Europe, and Sales and Service operations in more than 40 countries around the world, ThermoFisher brings Nanoscale within the grasp of leading researchers and manufacturers, helping to turn some of the biggest ideas of this century into reality.
The Operations Engineer is responsible for production support and New Product Introductions to for a specific group of products. This position interfaces with design, process, test and service engineering as well as other functions when required to solve complex problems.
Specific deliverables associated with this position include:
- Develops and executes tests to help characterize and improve performance of focused ion beam (FIB) and electron beam (SEM) columns.
- Improves products and manufacturing processes by leading small continuous product improvement projects that may include cost reduction, yield/quality improvement.
- Participates in New Product Introduction (NPI) for focused ion beam and electron columns, including charged particle optics simulations, high voltage design, electromagnetic field analysis, mechanical design analysis, vacuum design, and materials selection. Specific attention is placed on design for manufacturability, testability, reliability and sustainability in manufacturing, service and the supply chain.
- Conducts detailed troubleshooting and analysis of system or component level problems that affect reliability and performance. This may include leading small cross functional teams and the use of statistical analysis, 8-Step Problem Solving or other established methods.
- Performs hands-on assembly, testing and training of personnel as required during projects (i.e., assembly, test or measurement, troubleshooting)
- Maintains knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories of charged particles optics columns and related systems, including ion and electron sources
- Develops and maintains software to simulate and characterize FIB and SEM columns
- Develops and maintains technical product and process documentation.
- Works with Supplier Quality Engineering to qualify supplier processes to improve quality
- Implements Engineering Change Orders to support production, supply chain and Service.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following combination of expertise and education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, General Science, Chemistry or other relevant degree.
- This position requires 3+ years of experience and a working knowledge of physics, mechanical assembly and high-vacuum design principles.
- Experience with semiconductor equipment or microscopy tools including design, simulation, and operation of charged particles systems, such as FIB and SEM columns is required
- Experience in troubleshooting complex lab instrumentation including software maintenance and development
- Candidate will possess a strong process improvement background. Experience with use of statistical process control and statistical problem solving methods, including Six-Sigma methods is preferred. Must be capable of providing clear and concise analysis of data that may involve multiple factors.
- Must possess strong computer skills and clearly demonstrated ability to develop engineering reports using common Microsoft applications. Experience in computational physics and numerical methods is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects from inception to completion with minimal supervision. Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills independently and within the team environment.
- Must have the ability to obtain a valid passport and travel regionally and internationally as required.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.