When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Field Application Scientist will provide scientific expertise, applications support and training to customers on Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Affymetrix/Applied Biosystems microarray instruments, assay and software through a variety of interfaces. This may include in-person, phone and/or email communications. They will partners with sales reps in the field to deliver product line specific pre- and post-sales related customer support activities and solve customer escalations effectively. Also acts as a trusted expert to our customers, thereby increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty and contributing to the overall success of the business. The geography of responsibility is approximately Southern California Ideal candidate may live in either metro San Diego or Metro San Francisco areas.
- Perform product demonstrations at customer or company sites
- Prepare and present seminars to a wide array of audiences
- Support technical training for Sales Representatives
- Collaborate with Sales Representatives to develop technical selling strategies
- Participate in the field test site determination process
- Represent Thermo Fisher Scientific at trade shows and vendor shows to present Thermo Fisher Scientific products and gather information
- Accompany Sales Representatives on sales calls in customers' laboratories to provide technical and applications assistance in response to customer inquiries
- Supports conditional sales placements in the field through on-site visits and telephone communication
- Generate and record opportunities related to the Thermo Fisher Scientific workflow including Service contracts.
- Provide troubleshooting support to customers in the field (Southern California) or by phone/email
- Resolves and/or escalate customer issues & complaints as needed
- Provide start-up applications training to customers in their laboratories or as an instructor at Thermo Fisher Scientific training centers
- Demonstrate basic operating and troubleshooting procedures for Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Applied Biosystems brand microarray instrument workflow.
- Coordinate cross-functional engagements for significant situations that require unique and/or urgent response from customer facing team members
- Plans and deliver user meetings in house or in the field
- Provide and continuously update customer contact with relevant information. Track, record and document relevant information from all technical enquires from customers
- Acquire and maintain theoretical and practical knowledge of Microarray applications/workflows.
- Report on activities in the field on a regular basis to Manager and Sales partners through written reports and regular telephone conversations
- Report on technical trends going on in the territory by relating customer concerns and issues to the appropriate internal partners
- Stays current on scientific and industry trends and innovations
- Participates actively to support Sales and Service meetings as required
- Requires a BA or BS in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related scientific field
- Requires a minimum of 3+ years of laboratory or related work experience
- Hands-on experience of Microarray on market-leading platforms
- Experience in presenting technical materials in written and verbal form is critical
- Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Capable of working independently. Is self-motivated and proactive
- Extensive experience using personal computers and all Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrates clear and concise communications and is capable of interacting with a diverse population of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to partner effectively as part of a team to solve problems, negotiate solutions and arrive at a consensus.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends, and competitors
- Is tenacious, decisive, nimble and quick, able to adapt from one situation to another quickly
- Embraces and leverages diversity of culture and thought
- Must live in Southern California (between San Diego and Los Angeles)
- MS or PhD is strongly preferred
- 1+ year of working with Affymetrix/Applied Biosystems microarray instruments, assay and software preferred.
- Experience in a clinical, diagnostics and/or regulated market
- Experience in a customer-facing role and/or providing technical and scientific presentations to a variety of audiences is strongly preferred.
- Is strategic, astute and forward-thinking
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Typically works remotely from home office.
- Travel may range from 50% to 75%.
- Responsible to effectively manage schedule and negotiate scheduling conflicts
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Most duties are performed at field locations which may require walking within customer facilities, standing while giving presentations or conducting meetings and sitting to complete reports and sales calls.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment and manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join