At Thermo Fisher, our mission is to cure cancer with genomic data. It is a close-knit, collaborative, cross-functional setting where we believe none of us is as smart as all of us and we each have something valuable to contribute toward our goal. The software services team is tasked with applying industry best practices to the design, development, and deployment world-class software products. We are looking to hire individuals with experience with software development and test engineering in clinical and research settings, and who can help us solve the next wave of technical challenges using the latest cloud-based, big-data, and rich analytics tool sets.
We are seeking enthusiastic software test engineers who will scope, design, implement, and maintain automated and manual tests for highly advanced bioinformatics software. We require strong coding skills as well as a solid understanding of Quality Assurance principles and Continuous Integration methods.
You will write positive and negative smoke and regression test scripts to test product functionality and integration with dependencies.
You are excited and passionate about participating in an Agile/SCRUM setting to meet and exceed customer expectations and continuously drive towards quality improvements. You like the idea of partnering with users and other team members to brainstorm the best possible approaches to validating systems. You welcome the challenge of working in a fast- paced, discovery-oriented environment and will be genuinely excited about the prospect of creatively exercising your problem solving skills on a continuous basis with an eye to ultimately improving the human condition.
- Serve as a customer advocate and ensure quality and usability of our software
- Collaborate with other engineers and product managers in the business to understand and provide input to product requirements.
- Analyze and develop test plans and protocols for AWS/Web based scientific analysis software that analyses samples and runs various algorithms for detecting variations in genes and annotate.
- Instruct team members and other staff in test techniques and methods.
- Develop custom Quality Assurance Metrics and reporting solutions using HPQC, JIRA, or custom reports with SQL.
- Participate in project-wide reviews of requirements, system architecture, and detailed design documents.
- Effectively communicate testing activities and findings in oral and written formats.
- Perform and coordinate QA activities such as estimation, test planning, test design, preparation of traceability matrix, test execution, test results analysis and reporting.
- Maintain excellent knowledge base of industry trends and developments.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Represent the team in cross-organizational development forums as well as customer requirements gathering and software validation and training sessions
- Rely on extensive experience and judgment to understand complex problems and resolve them efficiently, Use prior knowledge and experience to provide functional and technical support and leadership to colleagues
- Participate in training and orienting new test engineers as they join the team
*Minimum Qualifications (must have)
- Agile development
- Bioinformatics - next-generation sequencing and assay design. Languages: Python, Perl, Linux/Unix scripting
- MS in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or equivalent
- Ability to review, synthesize, and present scientific data and methods.
- 3-5 yrs academic or professional experience with computer programming or scripting as well as a solid understanding of modern software architecture, testing and application of BioInformatics concepts in Software development.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills and a commitment to the mission of the institution.
*Preferred Qualifications (nice to have)
- Experience with QTP or other test automation frameworks
- Experience working within an Agile development process (Scrum, XP, Kanban, etc).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to present technical information to both business and technology teams with clarity and precision.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join