Group: Life Sciences Solutions Group
Division: LSG Commercial
Business Unit: Commercial Global Service, Support, & Customer Service
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Field Application Scientist provides scientific expertise and applications support and training to customers on Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Applied Biosystems brand microarray instrument workflow through a variety of interfaces including in-person, phone and email communications. Partners with sales reps in the field to deliver product line specific pre- and post-sales related customer support activities and solve customer escalations effectively. Acts as a trusted expert to our customers, thereby increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty and contributing to the overall success of the business.
- Prepares and presents seminars to wide array of audiences
- Helps support technical training for Sales Representatives as appropriate
- Collaborates with Sales Representatives to develop technical selling strategies
- Represents Thermo Fisher Scientific at trade shows and vendor shows to present Thermo Fisher Scientific products and gather information
- Accompanies Sales Representatives on sales calls in customers' laboratories to provide technical and applications assistance in response to customer inquiries
- Provides troubleshooting support to customers in the field or by phone/email.
- Resolves and/or escalates customer issues & complaints
- Provides start-up applications training to customers in their laboratories or as an instructor at Thermo Fisher Scientific training centers
- Demonstrates basic operating and troubleshooting procedures for Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Applied Biosystems brand microarray instrument workflow
- Coordinates cross-functional engagements for significant situations that require unique and/or urgent response from customer facing team members
Other Roles & Responsibilities
- Acquire and maintain theoretical and practical knowledge of microarray applications/workflows
- Reports on activities in the field on a regular basis to Manager and Sales partners through written reports and regular telephone conversations
- Reports on technical trends going on in the territory by relating customer concerns and issues to the appropriate internal partners
- Stays current on scientific and industry trends and innovations
- Participates in inter-departmental projects
- Typically works remotely from home office.
- Travel may range from 50% to 75%.
- Responsible to effectively manage schedule and negotiate scheduling conflicts
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Most duties are performed at field locations which may require walking within customer facilities, standing while giving presentations or conducting meetings and sitting to complete reports and sales calls.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment and manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- BA or BS in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related scientific field
- Requires a minimum of 3+ years of laboratory or related work experience
- Hands-on experience of microarray on market-leading platforms
- Experience in presenting technical materials in written and verbal form is critical
- Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Extensive experience using personal computers and all Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrates clear and concise communications and is capable of interacting with a diverse population of internal and external contacts
- Must be living in one of the States covered by this position (Washington or the province of British Columbia).
- There is no relocation budgeted for this role.
- MS or PhD is strongly preferred
- 1+ year of working with Affymetrix/Applied Biosystems microarray instruments, assay and software preferred
- Experience in a clinical, diagnostics and/or regulated market
- Experience in a customer-facing role and/or providing technical and scientific presentations to a variety of audiences is strongly preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join