When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Bioinformatics R&D Group in the Microarray business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks a talented scientific programmer with experience in data science and database administration. The successful candidate will develop and implement analysis pipelines for genotyping, work with big data and assist in the administration of a mission-critical PostgreSQL database of genomic information. Additional duties could include data analysis and/or acquisition and curation of needed data. You will work in an interdisciplinary, dynamic team of scientists and engineers to develop and support a broad array of products for genomic research.
- Administer a large, multi-user, production PostgreSQL database in a linux environment
- Design and implement algorithms and pipelines for analysis of very large data sets from genotyping microarrays
- Acquire, maintain, and curate data from multiple sources
- Write front-end programs for data access for internal use
- Analyze internal and customer data as required
- Work closely with molecular biologists and bioinformatics scientists to understand and refine data requirements
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in computer science, data science, bioinformatics, or a related field
- 1 – 3 years’ experience with administration of relational databases in a linux environment
- Expertise with major scripting and programming language (SQL, Perl, Python, C++, Java, etc.)
- Familiarity with standard software development methods and best practices
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, and big data analysis
- Familiarity with statistics and statistical programming (R, MatLab, or SAS)
- Experience in bioinformatics and microarray analysis
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join