Job Title: Director, Operations
Requisition ID: 55961BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
This position has the overall operations responsibility for the recently acquired Finesse business at the Santa Clara, CA site. This includes direct responsibility for the functions of: Operations, Health Safety & Environment, and PPI (Practical Process Improvement). Additionally, the position has a shared (indirect) responsibility for Supply Chain and Distribution (these disciplines have direct responsibility into their functions. The position will work very closely with the commercial operations team and their respective reporting functions. The span of control is from direct reporting staff as well as broad control over entire site ~50 employees located in Santa Clara, CA.
This position is responsible for managing the successful manufacturing and delivery of Bioproduction control systems to Thermo Fisher Scientific’s customers in the Bio Processing Production industry. The manufacture of these products must be in accordance with all regulatory requirements such as cGMPs, ISO, or other requirements as necessary.
The main goal of this position is to ensure that Thermo Fisher Scientific’s customers receive the highest quality products, on time, and in a responsive, efficient manner. To achieve this it requires a highly motivated workforce which pays strict attention to detail, can identify, develop and implement robust harmonized processes and procedures along with methods to ensure procedural compliance. The successful candidate must be able to create and maintain a culture demonstrated by every employee, every day which shows a stringent commitment to quality, assurance of supply to customers, service, safety, self-motivation, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- Manage all costs of production to meet and exceed targeted goals for labor, material and overhead costs. Make decisions around site discretionary spending which will meet or exceed AOP and business needs.
- Develop and manage an operational strategy which is aligned with, and achieves, overall long term Thermo Fisher Scientific BPD business goals.
- Plan and direct operational activities of the site to achieve shorter term business targets as well as benchmark performance in the areas of quality, delivery and cost.
- Create a long term vision and plan to achieve that vision, communicate the vision and ensure staff alignment to work towards that vision
- Act as a champion for the implementation of PPI (Practical Process Improvement) and PPI Lean Enterprise.
- Develop and maintain a positive reputation in the market with customers, commercial team, suppliers, partners, local community, and regulatory/official bodies.
- Actively manage both internal and external communications with employees, other levels of management within the company, customers and the community
- Report Site performance, including scorecard metrics, to all company stakeholders
- Manage and streamline demo process for the business.
- Ultimate responsibility for Site Health, Safety, Regulatory & Environmental Compliance
- 7-10 years of career progression in a high-velocity manufacturing business
- Exceptional people management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable leadership skills and qualities
- Absolute integrity and transparency
- Ability to instill confidence within staff, Thermo Fisher Scientific and customers
- Working knowledge and proficiency of MS office products
- Oracle experience preferred
This position does not have relocation assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join