Job Title: Scientist II, Cell Biology
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D staff, project management and external collaborators to understand or develop workplans. The scientist will then be responsible for executing these plans either independently or as part of a team in order to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a certain level of independence but may also be in support of senior scientists.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Molecular biology
- Plasmid subcloning
- RT-PCR and TaqMan® PCR
- Western blotting
- DNA Sequencing
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types, 2D and 3D)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection and antibiotic-selection)
- Assay development (high-throughput and high-content)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging and cryopreservation)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing)
- Periodic weekend work (stem cell culture requires daily attention)
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven experience:
- Manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of PCR
- Protein analysis (eg. western blots)
- Sterile tissue culture technique
- Assay development (particularly fluorescent based assays)
- Expertise with stem cell culture in the absence of antibiotics
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Significant amount of work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent manipulating plasmid DNA constructs in a laboratory environment. Sometime will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
- Bachelor’s with industry experience or a master’s degree in the life sciences
- 1-5 years experience in stable cell line generation
- 1-5 years experience in assay development
- 1-5 years experience in stem cell culture
- Occasional weekend work will be required to maintain cell cultures properly
- 1-5 years experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA/protein)
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join