When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Job Description Summary
This position will primarily support the mechanical design, development and documentation of water purification products developed in an R&D environment, and may include some support of water analysis products. Working with R&D staff, develop mechanical designs from concept through detail design and manufacturing release, that include injection molded, sheet metal, and machined parts, as well as electronics and plumbing related components. Tasks include performing basic feasibility studies, interface with cross-functional teams, create design and test specifications, conduct electrical and mechanical testing, support prototype builds, and work with external vendors, contractors, and contract manufacturers to deliver designs from concept thru production release. Must be a hands on creative thinker.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Works with Water Purification Specialist to clarify and resolve problems resulting in the development or production of Water Purification products.
· Performs preliminary and advanced work in development of working layouts and final master models adequate for detailing parts and assemblies.
· Prepares or directs preparation of product or system layouts, assemblies, detail drawings, technical specifications, and product related manuals.
· Draws rough sketches and performs mathematical computations to develop design and work out detailed specifications of components.
· Directs and coordinates activities of contract documentation personnel and interfaces with contract manufacturers to resolve technical or documentation related issues.
· Procures parts to build and test prototype devices or subassemblies
· Analyses test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications
· Collaborate with engineers, manufacturing, marketing, and purchasing to gather and verify correct materials, assembly instructions and techniques.
· Uses 3D CAD design tools (SolidWorks preferred) and equipment to perform engineering and design tasks.
· Adhere to company guidelines for revision control, configuration management, and documentation standards.
· Contribute to the content of user’s guides and manuals.
Other Job Requirements:
· Must have strong written and verbal communications skills
· High level of self-discipline, drive, and creativity.
· Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity analysis.
· Ability to work in a cross-functional, global environment and integrate global standards and regulations into design.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exits. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Other duties may be assigned as necessary
· Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time.
· Supervisory Responsibilities: None
· 4-6 years’ experience using SolidWorks, Inventor a plus.
· Experience with MRP systems and Bill of Materials (BOM) structuring, SAP preferred
· Experience in the development of electro-mechanical devices: water purification, fluid pumping and/or chemistry is a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or four to six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join