When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a talented Sr. Director of R&D who will plan, organize and direct a team of engineers and technicians to ensure all projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with the organizations established policies and objectives. Will oversee the design and development engineering activities for bioprocessing control systems (hardware and software), sensors, and automated processing skids utilized in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry. Will ensure delivery of the global hardware and software product roadmaps for the Measurement and Control Business. And, interact with customers and commercial teams in support of existing and new product development products.
- Champion all activities related to hardware and software product development.
- Be an integral member of the Measurement and Control management team and represents R&D in the annual STRAP, prioritization, and AOP processes for the business.
- Partner with other divisions and business units to drive technology collaborations.
- Partner with the BPD Vice President of R&D and Corporate Innovation Council to develop and release next generation products and IP.
- Works closely with the business unit, division, and corporate marketing teams to develop hardware and software roadmaps; ensuring the hardware and software roadmaps remain competitive.
- Actively collaborates with the Market Development and Technical Services teams to understand customer requirements and translate those requirements into differentiated hardware and software products which meet development cost, product cost, time to market, and feature requirements.
- Works with customers and commercial teams on complex technical projects; in person highly visible interactive engagement with customers is expected.
- Promotes a close, productive working relationship between hardware and software product development teams and members of the product marketing organization.
- Manages relationships with key collaborators and helps to ensure that their needs and suggestions are given due consideration in the development of our research and new product pipeline.
- Perform M&A Technology Assessments as needed.
- Responsible for the business unit IP; advocates the need to develop our own IP portfolio and actively supports the IP development processes.
- Process owner for the NPI process, ETO (customization) and product improvement processes. Ensures processes required for the design and development of regulated products are established and rigorously followed.
- Oversees engineering team responsible for generating mechanical designs, printed circuit board designs, software programming, sensor chemistry, prototyping, test plans, specifications, drawings, technical reports, and design control compliance.
- Manage group metrics and trends; implementing proactive actions to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, resolving internal issues, annual employee performance reviews, budgets, new hires, and mentoring.
- BS/BA degree in engineering, physical sciences or chemistry required.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience in the design and development of sophisticated analytical instrumentation required.
- Management and leadership skills with strong written and verbal communication skills and feel at ease communicating regularly with technical and business teams.
- Ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% (domestic and international)
- Demonstrates Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Advanced degree in engineering preferred.
- Industry experience in BioProduction or Medical Device is preferred.
- Industry experience in controls, software, machine build automation, and/or optics is preferred.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.