The Site Leader & Operations Director is a highly visible position that will lead operational excellence in our manufacturing site based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, supporting 2 product lines of Thermo Fisher Scientific generating more than $100M. The PI and BMH product lines are part of our Materials and Minerals Business unit. These 2 product lines design, produce and deliver equipment that analyzes, detects, monitors and controls manufacturing processes for the bulk, food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. This is a leadership position and offers an influential seat at the table of a growing and dynamic technology segment and will provide substantial opportunity for on-going career development and growth within Thermo Fisher Scientific worldwide.
The Site Leader & Operations Director reports to the Sr. Director, Global Operations of M&M Business Unit. The position includes strong connection with the Business leaders of the PI and BMH product lines and his/her peer group includes similar positions in other locations (Europe, South Africa, China and Australia). He/She will directly lead several key Operations functions including Supply Chain, Sourcing, Quality, Manufacturing Engineering, Production and Logistics. The Operations team has around 50+ people based in Minneapolis.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities
As a key member of the M&M Operations management team:
- Lead our Minneapolis site by driving appropriate communication to the employees, facilitating connections between all the functions on site and managing all the Safety processes on site.
- Consistently demonstrates Role Model Leadership, and supports the Human Resources function in developing and executing sound HR programs that drive workforce motivation and employee allegiance, and meet the Company’s goal of being an Employer of Choice
- Create a long term vision and plan to achieve that vision, communicate the vision and ensure staff alignment to work towards that vision
- Drive rapid improvement in productivity and margins through process improvement practices, and overall simplification of our Operations processes including outsourcing of Non-Core activities to preferred Third Party partners.
- Through partnership with R&D and marketing, dramatically improve time to market and quality of new product releases.
- Drive change and major improvements in speed of execution.
- Develop the manufacturing staff to drive the performance of the product lines.
- Drive continuous improvement and standardization. Create metrics to measure performance.
- Lead the Annual Operating Planning (AOP) process for Operations and play a role in the strategic plan.
- Utilize a continuous process improvement plan with a focus on Safety, Quality, Delivery and Costs.
- Oversee and administer all departments and capital budgets.
- Provide guidance in the selection and appraisal of key managerial personnel.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of company policies.
- Develop action plans with sales, engineering, manufacturing and finance to ensure that customer expectations and company objectives are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Requirements
- 10-15 % international travel.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and/or Engineering.
- 8-12 years experience leading a manufacturing operation to a high degree of operational excellence including modernizing and relocating processes between sites and continuous improvement efforts that drove significant improvement to EBITA worldwide.
- Experience in a senior leadership role, driving strategic objectives and projects
- Experience in multiple areas within a job-shop manufacturing environment including; supply chain, production planning, inventory control, manufacturing engineering and project management.
- Proven track record of driving change across value streams and demonstrated ability to be an effective change agent within a global organization.
- Highly energized and self-motivated with experience working with teams to implement change.
- Preferred experience in the packaged goods and/or job shop industry.
- Ability to provide global vision and leadership to execute change for on-going operational excellence
- Ability to quickly build rapport and credibility and establish productive working relationships with all levels and functions of the organization
- Apply urgency to issues that require it.
- Driven and self-motivated; Calculated risk taker with a high bias for action that achieves results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player. Ability to generate enthusiasm and build effective working relationships globally.
- Skilled at problem solving and conflict resolution to create a “win-win” mentality and drive results.
- Solid foundation and knowledge of engineering principles, manufacturing methods, materials management, finance and working knowledge of IT and facilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate critical issues.
- Ability to coach & mentor people and effectively work, influence, and negotiate in global cross-functional team settings.
- Strong team building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and upper management.
- Demonstrable leadership skills and qualities
- Absolute integrity and transparency
- Ability to instill confidence within staff, Thermo Fisher Scientific and customers
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join