When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is looking for an experienced, dynamic leader as we expand and modernize our global network infrastructure. The Director, Global Network Services provides key leadership to the managers who implement the development, design and optimization of our global WAN, site LANs, Wireless, remote access, and telephony technology. This is an opportunity to ensure processes for design, justification, initiation, control and close-out are sustainable and scalable over our 500+ global locations. This role works within a diverse group of technical and business stakeholders to understand business needs and roadmaps with a goal of enabling smart technology strategies for competitive advantage across all of the Thermo Fisher Scientific lines of business and evaluating resulting business value at all milestones from project conceptualization through implementation/ support.
- Provide leadership and direction to protect the company’s data, tools and network systems
- Lead a modernization strategy for the Global Network to provide a scalable, reliable, secure, and automated software defined network with less reliance on MPLS
- Ensure the network strategy and design supports the digital strategy for Thermo Fisher Scientific and the move to cloud based computing
- Work closely with Product Development and R&D teams on their networking needs
- Lead the implementation of company approved enterprise network hardware and software systems for the WAN, site LANs, wireless, remote access, telephony and call center technology
- Recommend Network technology and process improvements to the company’s IT Senior Leadership Team
- Communicate infrastructure network architecture standards to maximize efficiency and support platform compatibility
- Manage or oversee Network projects of all sizes
- Align IT operational processes with business needs
- Manage strategic supplier relationships including negotiations, day to day operations and strategic direction of Voice and Data Network equipment suppliers and carriers.
- Hire, develop and evaluate employees to improve operational efficiency
- Collaborate with other senior leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives
- Collaborate within Global Infrastructure Services organization and Divisional IT to implement company standards as needed
- Manage relationships with several network suppliers, outsource partners and carriers.
- Assure budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements
- Comply with company’s Global IT Policies & Procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ Degree in Network or Electrical Engineering, Information Technology or Computer Science preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered
- Experience running a global network; understanding of vagaries in Europe, Asia Pacific and South America including staff, suppliers and customer businesses.
- Experience managing a Shared Service organization in a global environment
- Experience in a continuous improvement environment with a track record of achieving significant development year over year
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and the corresponding capacity to make decisions or recommendations based on potentially incomplete information
- Ability to make final decisions on administrative or operational matters
- Ability to quickly understand the business and IT’s impact on its success
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Experience negotiating with telecom suppliers and carriers.
- Strong understanding of IT strategy and how it relates to business objectives
- Strong project management skills and understanding of project management lifecycle
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed environment
- Ability to successfully lead projects to completion on time and within budget
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Experience managing technology areas other than the Network a plus
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Broad operational IT experience in a large company environment with global operations
- 5 to 7 years of experience as an IT network manager in a high volume, large organization
- Strong attention to detail
*This position has been approved for relocation
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join