Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Responsible for training and directing the respective assigned distribution center department to perform their jobs according to the proper standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Organizes the staff and workload to meet or exceed distribution productivity performance standards for Receiving, Put Away, Packing, Shipping, or Inventory Control. Develops daily work schedules as workload situation demands. Coordinates all warehouse activities to provide a smooth and efficient flow of work.
- Provides leadership to a group of team members, who provide timely solutions to customer needs. Participates in candidate selection. Trains, evaluates, recommends and delivers disciplinary action when necessary, for issues as attendance, performance, safety, or policy violation. Conducts yearly performance reviews and feedback sessions with employees as needed to discuss metrics and performance related issues, prior to issues becoming increasingly serious. Supervises staff in a manner that is consistent with our organizational culture, which is based on four values: Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement and on open communication. Actively seeks development opportunities for team members. Promotes a friendly environment, good morale and cooperation among team members. Reconciles and approves time detail for employees in e-time system.
- Recommends and develops ideas for improvement in operating methods and procedures, and to resolve problems when these arise. Makes recommendations to improve warehouse layout, workflow, operating costs and customer service, for consideration and approval of the Director of Logistics Operations and other concerned management personnel.
- Resolves customer service (internal/external) issues via phone, fax and e-mail and first person meetings, at times partnering with other departments and utilizing whatever resources necessary; use the same avenues to strengthen business relationships. Ensures that committed orders ship on time and that carriers comply with scheduled pick-up commitments.
- Maintains safety standards and training in the department; ensures that the building is maintained in a clean and safe manner and that inventories and equipment are properly protected against theft, fire and other hazards that may cause loss or damage.
- Follows-up on hazardous materials packaging, storage and shipping to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Assists in the formulation of annual operating budget and objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree required in Business Administration, Supply Chain, or a related field, or equivalent combination of experience and education is preferred. Must possess a high school diploma.
- Preferably 4 years of progressive supervisory experience required in a distribution environment.
- Experience supervising multiple functions within the distribution center, including but not limited to; Inbound (receiving), Production, Packing, and Shipping Departments.
- “Big Box” experience managing in a large distribution center with high-volume, fast pace.
- Must possess the leadership and supervisory skills be able to lead, coach and motivate a large group employees along with excellent interpersonal skills to relate well to employees, peers, various levels of management, and have a strong customer orientation to develop strong customer relationships.
- Must be able to handle conflict well and give positive and negative feedback along with managing performance issues.
- Must possess strong written and communication skills to clearly express his or her ideas to customers, employees, and higher levels of management and document performance reviews and discipline when needed.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills to be able to evaluate issues as they occur and respond to issues with creative problem solving.
- Must be computer literate be able to utilize Microsoft Outlook and Word. Must have exposure to a WMS (Warehouse Management System).
- Supervisors should have or be willing to obtain a forklift certification and prior experience operating a powered industrial truck, preferably cherry picker and stand-up forklifts
- Must be able to lift, carry, pull, and push up to 40 - 70 pounds frequently and 100 pounds occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Flexibility and open to re-location within the U.S. distribution network.
- Role model leader with ability to lead with the Thermo Fisher values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join