Site and Operations Senior Manager
Job ID :
Canada - Ottawa
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To manage the Microbiology Canada business in accordance with corporate guidelines, policies and procedures.
- To lead and oversee the fulfillment of the groups Safety, Health and Environmental obligations within Canada in line with both Thermo Fisher requirements and wider Canadian legal requirements. To actively promote Health & Safety awareness of all other employees and contractors or third parties on site.
- To ensure that site is fully integrated within MBD and Thermo Fisher Scientific, processes, procedures, initiatives and culturally.
- To provide leadership to achieve continuous improvement in manufacturing cycle time, schedule realization and total cost productivity and drive cultural change to deliver this.
- To lead the Operations functions including Production, Planning, Distribution and Engineering with the objective of ensuring the efficient running of the supply chain and its continuous improvement through lean or Six Sigma methods as appropriate.
- To execute the strategic business plans. Translate business unit goals into department goals; ensure implementation of plans to achieve or exceed goals. Track progress toward goals and ensure prompt initiation of corrective actions.
- To support the preparation and delivery of business plans in conjunction with the sales, finance and other functions within MBD, ensuring that staffing, technical and support functions are adequate for the agreed output.
- To ensure that technical support for prepared media production and associated products is provided to the business.
- To maintain focus on customer service (internal and external) and ensure that customer needs are constantly reviewed and serviced.
- To define appropriate equipment, facilities, headcount and costs for new product manufacture or significant up-grades of current product ranges.
- To build, develop and manage leadership team capable of carrying out needed operational strategies and employment development activities.
- To support the preparation of Operations budgets and business plans in conjunction with the sales channels and finance division, ensuring that staffing, technical and support functions are adequate for the agreed output. Deliver against the Operations business plan once this has been has been authorized.
- To work successfully within the matrix organizational structure to ensure that the Canada site delivers its objectives.
- To manage Operations Capital Project and Revenue budgets.
- Any other tasks/duties deemed to be within the competence of the post-holder.
- Bachelors degree within a scientific, technical or manufacturing discipline. Additional business qualification preferred (e.g. MBA).
- Minimum 10 years of overall business experience demonstrating clear progression, the ability to be part of a cross functional leadership team and success in various business situations, including:
- Experience in diverse businesses
- Experience across operations (i.e. sourcing/materials, quality, etc.)
- Experience in a continuous improvement environment, preferably PPI
- Managing people
- Minimum 5 years leading operations with a mid-sized (50+ manufacturing/ operations employees) process manufacturing environment.
- Experience of working in healthcare manufacturing or similar regulated environment with a strong quality culture using quality data to deliver performance enhancements.
- Knowledge of production of prepared media and associated products, preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of operational experience focused on leading lean implementations, with substantial and direct experience in areas such as; daily management, 5S, value stream mapping, material flow, poka yoke, quick change over and Kaizen events.
- Preference for lean experience from company with a formal lean business system where the individual has experience in leading, building and driving a lean implementation creating systems, training and implementing the concepts is strongly preferred.
- Leads with composure and a focus to detail, results orientation and profitability mindset along with the ability to operate successfully in a fast-paced environment. Also has the ability to communicate across all levels of the organization, build relationships, even in difficult situations, and be thought of as an example by others across all functions.
- Role model leadership is critical for success in this role. Listening skills are a key fundamental as well as sensitivity to working through difficult employee issues along with engaging high performers.
- Knowledge of production of culture media and immunodiagnostic techniques preferred.
- An established track record of achieving strong internal and external customer satisfaction levels supported by a metric driven continuous improvement focus in the areas of quality and on time delivery of product.
- Proven ability to influence in a complex, ideally global, matrix organization.
- Experience of managing different Operations departments, functions, or large teams, ideally in a complex, multi site operation.
- Has experience in driving improvements in quality, as well as, productivity and health and safety objectives and monitoring and controlling budgeted expenses.
- Demonstrated the ability to balance both the tactical and strategic needs within the business.