Job Title: Director, Product Marketing
Reports To: Vice President/General Manager Chromatography Consumables
Location: Runcorn (Flexible)
No. of Direct Reports: 3
The Director of Marketing will manage the product lifecycle for all products within the Chromatography Consumables business unit as well as support the long-term strategy development efforts by facilitating the identification of growth drivers and challenges across the business unit’s diverse portfolio of products. The Director will work collaboratively with the business unit leadership team and key group/division stakeholders to support, help implement, and track key strategic projects that have significant impact on the business unit. The Director will also provide strategic guidance on a broad range of topics, including analysis in support of new business initiatives (both organic and M&A related) and cross-functional initiatives that support the chromatography consumables strategic vision. It is essential that this person is able to establish rapport, credibility, trust and respect throughout the organization and be viewed as a team player.
- Establishes strategic marketing plans to achieve corporate objectives for products and services
- Development of a roadmap and business plan for new products
- Definition of the requirements and specifications for new products
- Develops and recommends product positioning, packaging, and pricing strategy to produce the highest possible long-term market share
- Contribute to new product development process in collaboration with R&D and all relevant stakeholders
- Guides preparation of marketing activity reports and presents to executive management
- Development and execution of comprehensive marketing plans and programs, both short and long term, to support sales and revenue objectives working closely with CMD divisional and regional marketing.
- Establishes and maintains a consistent corporate image throughout all product lines, promotional materials, and events
- Ensures effective control of marketing results, and takes corrective action to guarantee that achievement of marketing objectives falls within designated budgets
- Identifies, researches, analyzes and values potential acquisitions, partnerships, investments, OEM or licensing, protecting our IP and other strategic growth opportunites for the Business Unit
- Partners with functional experts to drive the OEM strategy and opportunities within chromatography consumables
- Performs competitive and market analysis by region/geographic area connecting key strategic projects with implications and possible outcomes for the Business Unit. Presents findings and recommendations as appropriate incorporating Voice of the Customer (VOC) and Voice of Sales (VOS) to the Portfolio Decision Team.
- Identifies, defines, and articulates industry, market, and emerging trends and how they may affect the business.
- Evaluates white space opportunities for possible expansion in key growth markets and regions.
- Leads the STRAP process
- Defines and tracks key strategic performance metrics.
- Works on special projects as assigned in connection with the Business Unit goals and strategy
- Market segmentation and strategy development
- Develops value proposition and product positioning
- Monitors competitive products and marketing activities
- Oversees and evaluates market research and adjusts marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions
- Oversees market development analysis: customer requirements, trends and future needs
- Researches, analyzes, and monitors financial, technological, and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity
- Develops and manages marketing operating budget
- Establishes comprehensive customer engagement strategy
- Identifies and nurtures key opinion leaders
- Develops customer profiles including purchasing behaviors and product selection approaches
- Transforms marketing from a product focused approach to a solution focused approach working across CMD integrating consumables into the workflow
- Maintain the Thermo Scientific brand as top of mind with customers by managing comprehensive inbound and outbound marketing plans.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in chemistry or life sciences. MBA or related advanced degree desired.
- 10-15 years of relevant professional experience, including broad-based experience in strategy consulting, business strategy and market/financial analysis required.
- In-depth knowledge of commercial operations, product management, business development and/or marketing in a related industry.
- Strong business acumen and a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional and personal relationships with key business partners and customers positively impacting business growth.
- Excellent communication, team-building, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated success in hiring strong talent and developing a team
- Demonstrated success working in a global, matrixed-environment with ability to influence without direct authority.
- Proven track record of effectively driving large scale initiatives from a business and cultural standpoint.
- Ability to understand, analyze and assimilate complex issues, draw correct conclusions and formulate clear strategy and policies.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- High level of intellectual curiosity combined with a ‘results-driven’ mindset.
- Highly self-motivated with ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join