With 65,000 extraordinary minds on our global team, each one of us at Thermo Fisher has an important story to tell. Whether we’re helping customers to fight disease, making sure our air is clean, or solving cold cases, our stories involve thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. Our dedicated sales professionals are laser focused on delivering our customer value proposition - accelerating innovation and enhancing productivity. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer (III), for our Materials and Minerals (Bulk Material Handling) business unit.
The primary responsibilities of this position include maintaining equipment designs under the direction of Senior Engineering staff in South Africa, USA and Australia. This position will own the equipment designs and must maintain these designs for configuration compatibility with global contract manufactures, manufacturing processes, cost control, and design optimization.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- Maintain equipment designs in the global PDM database
- Ensure that all designs are fully documented with detailed component specifications
- Maintain approved manufacturers lists (AML) in ERP system
- Execute Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) at the direction of senior engineering staff
- Work with the operations team to provide design for manufacturability input on equipment designs through the Engineering Change Order (ECO) process
- Create detail and production drawings on custom designed equipment for global Project Engineering staff
- Utilize engineering staff in India on design completion
- Create, upload, and maintain Bills of Material (BOMs) in ERP system and distribute as required to global contract manufacturers
- Interface with global engineering, sales, and operations team members to execute custom engineering projects
- Project Management and coordination of design projects to meet quality, delivery and cost targets as needed
- Participate in LEAN manufacturing practices between sites
- Participate in supplier qualifications/audits and interface with them on quality performance
- In conjunction with various teams, develop and implement programs for improving supplier quality and lead the supplier non-conforming materials disposition process
- Develop and/or maintain metrics to support the above initiatives.
Other Job Requirements:
- Approximately 25% travel
- Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Technology, degree in mechanical or electrical engineering from an accredited college/university
- •Fluency in English required
- 5+ years experience designing industrial capital equipment
- High proficiency with SolidWorks & AutoCAD
- Demonstrated past history of project management
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and how cost impacts the overall business
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Enhanced PC knowledge and skill sets of utilizing Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work across multiple countries, cultures, time zones and departments
- Knowledge & Lean manufacturing
Preferred Qualifications/ Qualities:
- Fluency in Spanish or Chinese
- Design Automation Experience
- Formal training in Statistical Process Control
- LEAN manufacturing
- Failure Modes & Effects Analysis or other process improvement methodology
- Experience utilizing process improvement tools in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in ISO and Regulatory Approvals
- MAPICS and or ACCPAC experience
- Electrical/ Instrumentation knowledge
We will review applications on an ongoing basis in order to start the interview and hiring process as soon as possible, so please do not hesitate in making your application.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.