The role of the Director of Product Development & Technology (R&D) is to provide vision & leadership for designing, & developing & harmonizing software products that align with the long term goals of the company to support its Digital Science strategy. This person has to be in tune with our customers & the scientific workflows we support, must have a track record of innovation, & be able to direct the planning & implementation of software solutions in order to improve efficiencies (cost effectiveness), quality & timeliness of delivery. This person should be a team builder, be able to effectively collaborate across business unit boundaries, & experienced in leading global teams who want to join us as we build on our market leadership.
- Focuses on functional, technical & implementation related aspects of the work products being produced (Development, Testing, & Documentation).
- Possesses extensive business, technical, & procedural knowledge in order to see the workflow, budget, staff, output & overall standards & procedures of a substantial development group.
- Directs, manages & delivers development projects through the application of comprehensive software development life cycle processes.
- Balances area’s supply & demand by monitoring Enhancement Requests, Work Requests, Problem Reports, Resource allocations & ongoing progress towards stated goals.
- Collaborates & partner with business in setting customer expectations & satisfaction.
- Collaborates & partner with business to plan & execute development projects, ensure that teams have appropriate products & technical specifications, direction & resources to deliver projects on an aggressive, but achievable timeline.
- Provides technical leadership & guidance on software development tools, technology & Agile development methodologies.
- Provides leadership & guidance to coach, motivate, & lead team members & organization to their optimum performance.
- Executes on continuous improvement of the existing software applications & architecture. Ensure quality deliverables without fail.
- Deep & comprehensive understanding of the applications functional & non-functional requirements.
- Manages a global team with personnel located in 3 continents. Manage relevant vendor relationships.
- Builds & manages the annual Department budget working with the head of finance.
- Excels at promoting a culture of collaboration & innovation.
- Fosters a challenging & rewarding environment suitable for attracting & retaining top technical & domain talent.
- Work with commercial teams on key customer accounts.
- Manage senior members of the product development organization across the portfolio (LIMS, ELN, SDMS, & Integration).
- Represent the business unit in cross organizational initiatives as the R&D leader.
- Drive organizational initiatives around process improvement, quality, customer engagement, & operational effectiveness.
- Provide functional leadership in the definition & evolution of quality processes.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- College Degree (Masters preferred)
- 10+ years experience in managing all aspects of one or more software development teams including personnel management, project management, & technical management.
- Experience in working on New Product Development & Sustaining Engineering.
- Experience working with senior leaders & customers.
- Experience setting strategic direction & priorities.
- Experience managing multi-million dollar budgets.
- Experience creating & managing vendor relationships.
- Ability to formulate & present persuasive presentations, proposals, & project plans.
- Experience working with cross functional teams including Product Management, Services, Support, QA & Commercial.
- Organized disposition with proven experience of project management software tools (i.e. Microsoft Project).
- Persuasive, encouraging, & motivating.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise.
- Reacts to project adjustments & alterations promptly & efficiently.
- Comfortable with & effective at expressing & exchanging ideas, concepts & designs in a group setting.
- Comfortable working within an international team.
- Comfortable with working in a dynamic, flexible environment.
- The candidate should have a track record of achievement & delivering on significant responsibilities in a timely fashion.
- Experience with software design principles & methodologies.
- Familiarity & experience with SOA & Cloud Computing concepts including SAAS.
- General knowledge of Microsoft & database software technologies in the desktop application, client-server, n-tier &/or networking sectors, including .NET.
- Experience in managing teams comprising onsite & offshore developers through the application of industry-accepted development processes.
- 5+ years experience in an applicable business domain.
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development & Agile software methodology. Certifications in Scrum, Project Management, & relevant technologies.
- Experience working in a structured & audited Quality Management System.
- Experience with web & mobile development.
- Experience developing commercial software products.
- Experience working within a distributed, international team.
- Advanced degree in engineering or software development.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Strong understanding of market needs in applicable business domain.
- Experience with Thermo Fisher Scientific products, processes, & business drivers.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Excellent communication skills, verbal & written, with technical & executive audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivated, self-confident leader with a collaborative, open management style that fosters participation & contribution by others.
- Demonstrated experience in global personnel management.
- Ability to connect with customer base, determines business issues, & devises innovative solutions.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation & Involvement.
- Ability to travel an average of 25%.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join