When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
South San Francisco, CA.
The candidate will be part of the Bioinformatics R&D team in Clinical Next Generation Sequencing Group and will be responsible for primer design for the development of targeted sequencing panels, pipelines and algorithms for next-generation DNA sequencing.
How will you make an impact?
As the leading supplier of life science technology and related applications, we are helping life scientists understand and use the power of genomics to pursue new scientific discoveries and advance clinical research in personalized medicine.
What will you do?
- Design assays for custom targeted sequencing panels for external and internal researchers
- Understand the core scientific questions and design assays to best address these questions.
- Develop, maintain, and operate bioinformatics pipelines for assay design, data mining and analysis
- Improve the designs by iterative analysis of the sequencing data obtained. Develop heuristic rules, optimization, and algorithms to improve the design pipeline.
- Analyze sequence data and mine public databases for sequence content.
- Collaborate closely with the molecular biologists, product management, sales, experimental researchers and other members of the Bioinformatics team
- Work closely with external customers to understand and provide the best design solution that meets their needs
How will you get here?
- This position requires the knowledge and skills normally acquired through completion of a MS/PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Genomics or related field. Three years of relevant working experience is required.
- Experience working and developing bioinformatics production systems.
- The candidate must have experience in Perl / Python programming, shell scripting and SQL.
- The following are also required: hands-on experience with the relevant sequence analysis tools (e.g. Blast, Clustalw, bowtie, etc.)
- An excellent understanding of genomic databases and their annotations (GenBank, RefSeq, ENSEMBL, dbSNP, UCSC genome browser); a good understanding of the biology behind genotyping, gene expression profiling, comparative genomics and genetic mapping; an appreciation of the use of statistical methods and mathematical models in the interpretation of biological data; experience with next generation sequencing data
- Strong communication and organization skills are needed.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.*IND-LSG
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join