Senior Software Developer
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Burlington
Great developers can have their pick of work.
But beyond collecting a paycheque – which is important, but not the whole story – you’re ready to join a company where you can truly make your mark.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, we know that making the world a better place starts with innovation. Whether we’re helping clients to eradicate disease, making sure our air is clean, or solving scientific cold cases, our stories involve thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
Our core software architecture is being augmented with web services and API hooks to support a strategic collaboration in the emerging field of Automated Synthetic Biology and to leverage the Corporate ThermoFisher Cloud Initiative so that we can offer a differentiated science driven customer experience.
If you’re interested in doing highly unique, cutting-edge and challenging work, we want to hear from you.
Senior Software Developer
As our new Senior Software Developer, you will play a key role in the creation of advanced robotic technology and automation platforms for use in laboratories around the world.
You’ll work primarily with C# and .NET Visual Studio in an Agile environment and should have a strong background in object oriented programming. Ideally, you’ll also be proficient with Java, RESTful Web APIs, ASP.NET, C++, WPF, TCP/IP, SOAP, WCF, Serial Communication and Unit Testing.
We are bringing the cloud to our software platform, so cloud experience such as Amazon AWS or Azure would be a great asset. Mobile development skills such as Xamarin, iOS, Android as well as IoT skills would also be valuable.
We want someone who is a great team player, with excellent communications skills – we’re a small, tight-knit team that is deeply passionate about the work we do, so your attitude and impact on our work culture are as important to us as your technical skills. You’ll also have lots of freedom in your work, so you should be comfortable making good decisions and owning your role and your responsibilities.
Working with Us
This will be a full-time, position working out of our Burlington office from Monday to Friday. The software development group typically works standard office hours, but each individual has the option to explore work schedules that work best for them and the team. You’ll make a great salary from the get go and Thermo Fisher Scientific offers a comprehensive benefits and vacation package.
The best part of working with us is the culture. While Thermo Fisher has the structure, support, and market presence of a big corporation, we work hard to maintain the feel of a small company. This provides us freedom to operate in an agile and responsive manner and stay focused on doing the right thing for our customers and our business. The small company feel extends to how we work together as well and includes company BBQs, stopping by at the ice cream truck we called up to visit, and going on the occasional trip to Canada’s Wonderland. Most important though, we think, is the enjoyment of working with an engaged group of people towards a common purpose.
If this kind of environment sounds attractive, this might be just be the place for you.
- Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in Computer Science and/or Physical Sciences and/or Engineering, with strong software design and computer programming experience in a business/industrial environment
- Microsoft Certified Application Developer, MCAD, credentials are preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience developing PC applications using C#, .NET
- Well-versed in contemporary processes and tools used in the software development lifecycle, such as project estimation, task scheduling, requirements analysis, and iterative/agile development cycles
- Working proficiency of C# with .NET 4 using Visual Studio 2015/2017
- Working experience and a good knowledge of configuration management and software source control, as well as change control, testing and defect tracking
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Able to travel internationally (very occasionally)
The following would be considered an asset:
- Working proficiency in embedded programming using C or a similar embedded programming language
- Java, RESTful Web APIs, ASP.NET, C++, WPF, TCP/IP, SOAP, WCF, Serial Communication
- Amazon AWS, Azure, Xamarin, iOS, Android, IoT skills
- Working proficiency of Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server or VSTS
- Working proficiency with software build practices using MSBuild
- Working proficiency in developing unit tests, automated tests, test cases, test plans
- Project organizational skills, estimation and scheduling techniques
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join