Job Title: Product Applications Specialist- HID Professional Services
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
Frederick, Md. OR remote
Our Human Identification Division (HID) is part of our Genetic Sciences Division. Providing answers in cases of crime, paternity or disaster
• World leader in products, expertise, and application support for human identification labs
• Complete solutions: from collection to detection and analysis
• Designed to maintain integrity of sample at each stage, to ensure accurate results
How will you make an impact?
The Product Applications Specialist will be a part of the global HID Professional Services (HPS) team tasked with developing and delivering validation service solutions to forensic science laboratories. The Sr. Product Applications Specialist will drive development of new service offerings and also provide technical project management and oversight of global HPS validation projects for the entire portfolio of Thermo Fisher Scientific HID products.
What will you do?
- Manage global HID Professional Services (HPS) projects, ensuring high quality results and customer satisfaction through all phases of project execution
- Coordinate cross functional global teams and execute projects in a timely manner
- Maintain a high level of communication with customers before, during and after a project to ensure a clear understanding of needs and verify successful execution.
- Support resolution of technical troubleshooting during project execution
- Develop forensically relevant service solutions to support implementation of HID products by leveraging deep end user knowledge and understanding of unmet needs within the forensic DNA market.
- Align with Product Management to develop HPS solutions for new product launches including software, capillary electrophoresis instrumentation and chemistry, and Real-Time PCR instrumentation and chemistry.
- Interface with customers to maximize understanding of applications, opportunities and demands for current and future HID products and technologies
- Provide ongoing contribution to the development of relevant forensic service solutions to enhance portfolio of services
- Identify opportunities to increase project efficiency and reduce costs of project execution without sacrificing quality.
- Perform laboratory testing for validation experimental designs, on-market applications, and new HID products
- Foster regular communication channels and maintain close working relationships with global HPS colleagues and other HID team members (such as Product Management, Marketing, Sales, Support, Product Assurance, R&D)
- Present on HPS service offerings and workflow implementation solutions at global HID seminars and workshops
- Perform other duties as assigned
How will you get here?
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, chemistry, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5+ years working in a forensic DNA laboratory
- Experience in performing validation work in forensics or other regulated markets
- Forensic laboratory auditing experience with knowledge and familiarity of international and regional forensic standards such as ISO/IEC 17025 and the FBI Quality Assurance Standards is desirable
- Understanding of the forensic DNA laboratory environment, workflow and validation process
- Proficiency in the interpretation of forensic DNA analysis results and familiarity with challenges faced by forensic DNA analysts including mixture interpretation
- Technical proficiency and excellent analytical skills, with demonstrated expertise across the forensic DNA analysis workflow utilizing Applied Biosystems kits, instruments and software
- Track record of success in project management, with strong project management skills.
- Experience in delivering technical training, and conveying scientific principles
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Highly energetic and self-motivated. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends, and competitors
- Ability to drive business processes or change opportunities that lead to efficiency improvements or other benefits for the business.
- Detail oriented, analytical, data driven, and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to build relationships across different business functions and business units
- Comfortable with making decisions with some level of uncertainty
- Passionate about challenges, problem solving, and learning new things
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, optimism and a “can do” attitude
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Ability to present to all levels of an organization internally and externally
- Excellent written and communication skills
- 25% or greater travel (domestic and international) is required on periodic basis.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join