When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
The Chromatography & Mass Spectrometry Division (CMD) Senior Director, Program Management Office (PMO) provides leadership for the PMO team in addition to program management for cross-business unit high priority & strategic global hardware and software new product development programs. The PMO is a team of division level resources with demonstrated capabilities at driving program execution and team collaboration across functions & business units. The PMO focus is on NPDI (New Product Development Introduction), but is expected to evolve in time to drive additional types of highly strategic programs requiring similar competencies. At a division level, programs drive strategic outcomes and are considered to involve a collection of projects that must be aligned in time & scope to support technologies that are brought to market as solutions that support one or more customer solutions. This individual also manage & lead a small number of programs from inception to product launch in collaboration with product managers and subject matter experts. The role is responsible for the execution of agreed upon programs with achieved program cost, schedule, quality and cost-of-goods (COGS) targets.
- As part of the R&D leadership team, work to translate strategic direction into a series of actionable, measurable programs/projects to achieve both short-term and long-term goals and objectives.
- Establishes program management KPIs.
- Establishes and promotes industry-recognized, best-in-class program / project management standards.
- Drives a program to ensure continued utilization and maturation of best practices.
- Ensures the global processes, tools, and people are aligned to the global strategy.
- Actively support an enterprise approach to the development, integration, implementation, progress reporting and review of programs. Assists cross-functional business unit steering committee broadly responsible for review of the program / project portfolio and key program / project roadmaps.
- Develops and maintains a program for monitoring and reporting on compliance to adopted policies, processes, and procedures.
- Develops organizational program / project management capabilities through training, coaching, and group and individual meetings/discussions.
- Provides input on the selection and implementation of IT Tools to support program / project management processes.
- Provides program management subject matter expertise and support for large and/or complex programs.
- Ensures information concerning project status (i.e. schedules, deliverables, costs, risks, and issues) passes to-and-from key stakeholders.
- Ensures that an effective risk escalation process is established and that barriers to effective project execution are identified and addressed.
- Helps assign Project Management resources and assists in the development of project teams with input from the functional managers. Allocates resources appropriately based on project complexity, strategic importance, and team experience.
- Resolves program management and project services resource conflicts in cooperation with key stakeholders.
- Provide accountability for the evaluation and approval process for change requests (i.e. scope, schedule, and cost).
- Provides leadership to drive continuous improvements for processes and related operations. May directly lead improvement projects OR provide leadership to other teams to drive various improvement projects.
- Hire, coach, develop and retain Product Managers, Technical Leaders, Project Managers and Business Analysts as needed and identifies communicates and supports training needs and facilitate team knowledge creation.
The candidate for this role should be proficient in program / project management, a highly effective communicator, and experienced working in a matrixed environment. Key requirements/qualifications are:
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in business, engineering, or other related field.
- 10+ years of experience in program/ project management and /or cross functional NPDI leadership.
- Experience developing program / project processes and driving change. Experience driving continuous improvements projects across an organization (with knowledge in Lean, Transformation, Six Sigma and Practical Process Improvement methodologies preferred).
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, and SharePoint) required.
- Strong preference for experience in modern project portfolio management tools (Innotas/Planview, Planisware, Daptiv, Gensight or similar)
- Able to present a convincing argument to senior executives.
- Can succeed (or even thrives) in a high speed, high pressure environment.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company.
- Participates in division wide development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people. Ensures budgets and schedules meet business requirements.
- Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives. Makes final decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensures operations effective achievement of objectives.
- Ability to travel up to 50% annually.
- Technical / technology background with experience working with engineers (mechanical, electrical, firmware / software & scientists (physicists, chemists)
- MBA or related advanced degree desired
- Experience with Change Management methodologies is preferred
- PMI or PMP certification preferred
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join