When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
This position will be in the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Division (CMD), part of Analytical Instrument Group (AIG) of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
How will you make an impact?
In this role, you will be responsible for architectural development of the Instruments Connectivity Initiative. You will showcase your leadership skills in both architectural and development disciplines with general understanding of the laboratory instruments and workflows including expertise in providing device connectivity at scale, cross device communication, data brokering and storage, and contemporary technologies related to the Internet-of-Things (IoT). You’ll have the exciting opportunity to drive development of the instruments interaction platform and drive standardization across the division while enabling a higher level of intelligent machine-to-machine (M2M) interoperability and automation.
What will you do?
- Drive architectural collaboration across CMD business units to develop a common framework in how the instruments and client services interact and connect.
- Lead the investigation of industry standards, API, data architecture, security, event management and relevant middleware.
- Enable meaningful communications between devices using contemporary semantic methodologies, domain taxonomies, and ontologies.
- Lead the proof of concept development to establish technical and business feasibility.
- Evangelizes and drive technical and architectural migration to the framework.
- Build technical collaboration and partnerships with Cloud platform and solution providers (AWS, Azure etc.).
- Rapid prototyping and rapid Proof of Concept/Value creation
How will you get here?
PhD, M.S or B.S in these preferred areas of study: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of software and systems architectural experience with a B.S degree or 2+ years of software and systems architectural experience with a PhD or M.S. degree.
- Experience in instrument control or instrumentation interfacing software applications preferred.
- Strong recent hands-on design and development experience with platform independent API development with consideration for scalability, security, flexibility and ease of use preferred.
- Experience in designing instrument or system control software, embedded systems and device drivers development preferred.
- Experience building web services using JSON, REST and other similar web service technologies preferred.
- Understanding and working knowledge of IoT technologies such as RabbitMQ, MQTT, STOMP, or CoAP, and Cloud service bus required.
- Experience with Semantic Web technologies and Resource Description Framework (RDF) preferred.
- Good working experience of software development life cycle and Agile development methodology required.
- Predictive modeling and machine learning preferred.
- Mass spectrometry or NGS laboratory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated success in cross-organizational technical collaboration and product development.
- Strong interest in Cloud based technologies and business opportunities related to the science enabled by our products.
- Highly motivated, self-confident with a collaborative working style that fosters participation and contribution by others.
- Excellent communications skills, verbal and written, with technical and executive audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally about 20%.
- Working knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture and Complex Event Processing preferred.
- Good understanding of network architecture and secure communication protocols.
- Working Knowledge and demonstrated experience in Cloud technologies and modern distributed architectures including experience working with Amazon Web Services or Azure Cloud preferred.
- Some exposure to laboratory instruments such as Mass Spectrometer, Chromatography, LIMS or other scientific data analysis software is highly desired but not required preferred.