When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Fisher BioServices, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is the industry leader in the management of critical biological materials to support the advancement of cell therapy, GMP biologics, and population-based public health research. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. We offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. http://www.fisherbioservices.com/
Position Summary: This position is within the Fisher BioServices business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Project Director is responsible for all aspects of the day to day operation of the NICHD Perinatal Research Branch Repository and associated laboratory. His/her job includes managing the staff in their varied responsibilities, responding to the PRB Project Officer, administering the contract in accordance with contract requirements, all federal, state, local and company policies related to biological safety, monitoring the contract budget, and being responsive to the researchers who will depend on this resource. He/she is responsible for maintaining the integrity of all samples in the repository, coordinating with the appropriate persons and organizations to ensure the operation of the repository and its environs, and maintaining all systems that are existent to ensure the quality of the operation and repository.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the NICHD PRB Repository daily operations and facility management. Insures execution of all contract deliverables as defined in the statement of work.
- Communicates with PRB Project Officer and his delegate(s) for all aspects of contract operations.
- Interfaces with the researchers and clinical sites.
- Interfaces with project-designated organizations and personnel to ensure the full operation of the facilities, equipment, and systems, which support the repository.
- Initiates innovations to enhance operations and increase efficiencies.
- Applies Good Manufacturing Principles in all areas of responsibility.
- Prepares budgets, reports, metrics, and monitors financial performance.
- Provides oversight to ensure all personnel issues are addressed including performance management and development of employees, writing job descriptions, establishing and enforcing employee work and leave schedules; interviewing prospective employees and providing recommendations to HR for hiring, firing and promotion of employees.
- Responsible for site-specific occupational safety and health training in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and FBS policy.
- Ensure that all employees adhere to Corporate and BioServices policies and procedures.
- Review and approve all controlled documents supporting contract operations. Work with repository managers in the development and refinement of procedures. Ensure alignment of project Quality Plan with BioServices Quality System.
- Must demonstrate and promote our core values, communicate new policies and serve as a Role Model Leader to employees.
Basic Minimum Qualifications: The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty.
- Requires expertise with Microsoft Office programs.
- Requires superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- Requires excellent oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Requires knowledge of Inventory Management, including BSI
- Requires detail oriented, excellent computer and communication skills.
- Requires management experience of personnel and facilities.
- Requires experience safe handling of infectious materials.
- Requires knowledge biological and Chemical Safety procedures.
- Requires Hazardous Material Disposal training.
- Requires knowledge and experience with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs).
- Requires result oriented with strong decision making ability.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree.
- Requires 3+ years management experience.
Responsible for all repository staff.
8:00AM to 4:30PM core hours, additional hours as required.
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Must be able to work in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents, marked changes in temperature.
Must use personal protective equipment and adhere to safety protocols.
Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Must be able to process and handle materials frozen on dry ice (-78°C) or liquid nitrogen (-196°C).
Must be able to work in walk-in freezers or refrigerators periodically.
Must be able to use a computer up to 6 hours per day.
Must be able to work in a laboratory and warehouse/repository environment.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services. Apply today at http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join