As the world leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than $20 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points—technologically, geographically or commercially. We help customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. At Thermo Fisher, we give our 65,000 extraordinary minds the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Vice President of Finance, a key contributor to the overall success of the Anatomical Pathology Division (APD), will provide financial and business leadership to the APD business as well as talent development of the finance team. This position works closely with the APD President and peer staff to develop and execute strategies to drive growth and profitability. The VP of Finance will lead and manage the APD finance team in all activities related to the business financial and accounting processes and in operating as finance business partners for internal clients.
- Full ownership of all finance and accounting activities for the business: including internal control, regular reporting and analysis.
- Act as business partner to the APD Leadership Team, combining both support and challenge.
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies: to include both financial risk and business performance risk.
- Development and presentation of annual operating plans and quarterly results to corporate leadership team.
- Provide leadership to and develop the talent of the finance team, raising the bar of expectation.
- Set the example of continuous process improvement.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong conceptual and analytical orientation, as well as creative and unstructured problem-solving skills, to be able to evaluate problems and concepts from different perspectives; use data to identify key issues/opportunities and arrive at sound and logical solutions; experience preparing strategic and financial models, and identifying areas of process improvement.
- Strong, persuasive communication skills to present analytical and technical information, relate well to all levels of the organization, influence others to move in a certain direction, and express ideas clearly and concisely to drive tactical initiatives downstream.
- Strong results orientation.
- Ability to clearly define, lead and communicate change.
- Ability to champion ideas via fact-based analysis and reasoned judgment to optimize business results.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting/finance field. Must have a professional accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CMA). Masters (graduate level) degree in applicable field preferred.
- 12-15 years of relevant experience in a complex, multi-national, multi-site environment. Experience of a matrix organization and of a manufacturing environment highly desirable.
- Experience leading diverse global financial consolidations in an accurate and timely manner.
- Minimum of 5 years of financial responsibility for multiple profit centers/locations.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to adapt leadership style to different situations and people as well as to a complex business structure of a diverse portfolio of products.
- Must be a business leader rather than a technical expert – this position plays an active role in leading the business, providing challenge and support in equal measure.
- Strong internal controls and technical accounting experience. Must have an outstanding attention to detail and strong process rigor.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use those skills to influence and drive change.
- Self-motivated; bias for action.
- Global experience, including knowledge and experience in plant operations setting.
- Must be geographically flexible.
- 25% travel requirement.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join