The Contracts Paralegal position provides legal guidance and support to the Clinical Diagnostics Division (“CDD”) on a variety of tasks focusing on the formulation and finalization of contracts and other agreements as required in coordination with senior management and corporate legal counsel, with a particular focus on customer-related contracts and customer related documents across CDD. 3 main duties for this position are:
- Updating existing CDD contract templates with current legal and business terms
- Provide guidance on customer requested changes to business and legal terms
- Discuss with customer legal teams, as needed, on legal terms
CDD is a division within the Specialty Diagnostics Group, a USD $3.3 billion business group of Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. CDD compromises several business units (“BUs”) in the United States and abroad. This position will be responsible within CDD for the development, management, and continuous improvement of contract and document review processes, templates, summaries and database practices.
- Work with commercial and business teams, facilitate corporate processes for contract review and ensure that contracts are concluded in a timely manner and in a process consistent with all corporate requirements.
- Prepare, review, redline, and amend contracts including distribution agreements, license agreements, supply agreements, purchase and sale terms, consulting agreements, confidential disclosure agreements and quality agreements.
- Possess and further develop an in depth knowledge of key terms, both legal and business, when negotiating agreements.
- Must be capable of drafting agreements, including crafting language that effectively communicates complex technical and business terms in clear and concise contractual terms.
- Work with lawyers in various specialty areas, other contract specialists and legal staff in the legal department to coordinate review of contracts by responsible in-house business counsel.
- Communicate regularly and report on the status of contracts with the Division and Business Unit Leadership Teams, Senior Corporate Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and directly with business contacts.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to the Division and Business Unit Leadership Teams and Senior Corporate Counsel for guidance.
- In conjunction with corporate legal requirements, provide training to internal clients on a variety of contract-related and other legal topics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher learning program required
- Paralegal Certificate, or CCCM or CPCM Certification (J.D. or related experience may be considered in lieu of certification)
- 6+ years experience in contract drafting, negotiation and review
- Must have knowledge of contract and business law
- Prior experience handling all contract-related matters in a corporate setting, including development and/or negotiation of large customer and vendor contracts
- Excellent negotiation skills and ability to influence
- Ability to independently review, redline and negotiate commercial contracts (with lawyer supervision as needed)
- Strong project and process management skills
- Must meet key milestones and deliverables under tight timelines
- Demonstrates sound judgment based on principles of law and corporate policy, and is able to make recommendations that are aligned with the business and internal or external customer and managers
- Effective communication and presentation styles
- Must possess excellent organizational skills and work ethic
- Must be detail-oriented and produce high-level, quality work-product
- Self-motivated and require minimal direction to meet goals and objectives
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Solid business acumen with ability to work cross functionally
- Must have a proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a challenging workload
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Must be an expert in Microsoft Office and proficient in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and document comparison software
- Experience with government contracts and medical device products a plus
- Proficiency in AdobePro a plus
- Must enjoy working in a team environment
This position has not been approved for relocation assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join