When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Reproductive Health (RH) Business Unit is a newly formed organization focused on bringing to market a portfolio of specific applications that uniquely meet the needs of the reproductive health market, and in doing so accelerate Genetic Science and Clinical Science Divisions growth. Our team is highly mission-driven, committed to advancing solutions around the world to ultimately improve the reproductive health continuum from preconception, family planning, to assisted pregnancy, prenatal testing and new born and post-natal diagnosis. The RH team takes a customer-centric, platform-agnostic, sample-to-answer total solution mentality and works across all genetic analysis platforms (qPCR, CE, Microarray, and NGS) to develop the most comprehensive RH portfolio in the industry. W ensure the voice of the RH customer is brought into our division-level decision-making process and provides guidance and a sense of urgency as the divisions move into the high-growth RH markets.
GSD/CSD within Thermo Fisher are uniquely positioned as the market leader in innovative and leading genetic analysis platforms that can be critical in the continuum of reproductive health. The RH vertical is tasked to tailor these powerful genetic analysis platforms to provide complete solutions designed for meeting the RH customers’ unmet needs and unleash the power of our largest collection of platforms for RH applications.
The Director of Reproductive Health (RH) R&D will play a vital role in the success of the Reproductive Health organization by leading the pivotal assay research and development function. They are accountable for delivering the RH roadmap at a standard that ensures RH customer satisfaction. The role will lead a team of highly technical and specialized R&D scientists and biologists and partner with our Platform teams and Bioinformatics and SW teams to assess, prioritize, and develop solutions to solve our customers’ toughest clinical challenges. This role will be a key member of the RH leadership team and will work closely with RH functions including Product Marketing, SW and Technical Support to ensure customers long-term success and drive the overall technical and commercial milestones during the product development life cycle.
This position is based in Santa Clara and reports dual line to RH VP/GM and Content Engine R&D Leader
The Director of Reproductive Health R&D will provide direction and focus to meet or exceed the division objectives:
Drives growth through developing a RH customer-centric differentiated product portfolio:
- Accountable for delivering RH product portfolio meeting user requirements, on time, on budget
- Collaborates with GSD and CSD platform development teams to innovate on assay technologies based on the RH roadmap to leap-frog competition – in a platform agnostic way
- Be the technical expert and champion of RH customer technical needs and provide insight across the GSD/CSD to ensure fostering innovation leveraging the broad technical knowhow in a platform agnostic way
- Performs new technology assessments by evaluating new technologies, developing expertise on competitive offerings, and matching GSD capabilities with RH customer requirements
Has a deep understanding of the genetic analysis "sample-to-answer" workflows of our RH customers globally, especially their needs operating in a clinical lab environment. Familiar with clinical lab’s validation requirements and their best practices. Leverages experience developing clinical diagnostics (LDT and IVD) with demonstrated record of making successful submissions for CE-IVD, CFDA, and 510K/PMA approvals. Understands organizational requirements to design products and set-up testing, and validation to satisfy needs of regulatory bodies with the aim of rapidly producing content.
Assay development in a platform-agnostic manner
Expert in molecular biology assay development especially relating to genome-wide analysis and library preparation for NGS, microarray, qPCR and CE. Well versed in new assay designs meeting customer requirements in sensitivity and specificity for mutation and copy number analysis. Up to date on the latest technology trends, competitor offering and new cutting edge development techniques. Leverage the four platforms’ R&D teams, champion RH customer technical and product needs, and work collaboratively to leverage in-house expertise coming up with the most differentiated and innovative solutions.
- Builds R&D leadership bench strength and orchestrates movement of associates to the right projects in order to optimize output of new content.
- Builds a great team and great culture across GSD.
- Attracts, engages, develops, and retains top talent at all levels of the organization.
- Inspires, influences, and empowers employees across the matrix (both direct and indirect teams globally) to overachieve objectives.
- Decisive leader with ability to lead and empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term strategies and action plans and drive for results.
- Initiates and co-leads GSD R&D talent development initiatives including talent review (HRR), recruiting, performance management, and training and development programs and initiatives
Key Selection Factors
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD and 10+ years’ experience in academic and commercial R&D setting with an extensive external network in the genomics community
- Executive leadership experience leading, developing and building successful global R&D organizations in life sciences and clinical diagnostics
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level
- Strong track record of successfully delivering products to market and driving results with a sense of urgency
- Experience developing and achieving regulatory approval for diagnostic products
- Ability to effectively influence customers, partners, vendors, and internal staff as required
- Strong talent management and people development and engagement skills
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed-environment.
- Proven track record of effectively driving organizational transformation through large scale change initiatives from a business and cultural standpoint
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals
- Strong presence; capacity to influence and promote enthusiasm and support through verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Willingness to travel up to 25%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join