Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Their mission is to enable their customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
They help their customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. With four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offering an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Within the Customer Channels Group (CCG), the Research and Safety Market Division (RSD), represented by the Fisher Scientific brand, is a several billion dollar global division which markets and sells a vast portfolio of laboratory and safety-related products and services to its key customer base around the world that includes Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Academic, Industrial, and Government organisations.
As a provider of a broad portfolio of products and services, RSD transacts with and represents the product lines of thousands of industry-leading suppliers/manufacturers in the laboratory and clean-room space, both internal and external to Thermo Fisher.
As our client are experts in products and services to a large number of global organisations, the effective management of their supply chain is fundamental to the businesses success and client satisfaction. Reliability and responsiveness help them differentiate as they offer a total value added solution. Their proposition of product management and delivery direct to point of consumption, is made possible through creating a total solution and a ‘one stop
The Transportation Specialist will operate within the overall European Transportation management Strategy and framework. He/She is responsible for implementing process, cost and service (delivery, quality, lead time) improvement projects within his assigned scope. This scope can be geographical and/or covering inbound, outbound, intercompany and direct shipments/deliveries – performed by our own fleet or by external freight forwarders. He/she will implement metrics and measures that report on the operational effectiveness and overall success of the projects he/she is in charge.
The Transportation Specialist mission is to implement solutions/processes that balance cost and service (delivery, quality, lead time) that meets or exceeds internal & external customer expectations.
Key aspects include
- A dynamic, high energy professional with good communication / presentation skills and ability to act as a change management agent (with internal stakeholders);
- Results oriented, metrics leader with good analytical skills as well as transportation/logistics
- Good understanding with all modes of transportation and experience with at least parcel and groupage/FTL/LTL/Milk runs
- Experience with management of dangerous goods / cold chain transportation would be plus
- Experience with the management of own fleet would be a plus.
- Strong analytical and computer skills. Ability to run analysis / data crunching on his own.
- Ability to detail projects and drive implementation. Hands on and able to write S&OP, routing guides and drive implementation with internal & external stakeholders.
You will work closely with the rest of the RSD Transportation Management team & analysts, the European Supply Chain team – in particular Planning/Purchasing and Warehouse Operations, as well with the Global transportation group (TTG). You report directly to the Senior European Transportation Manager.
Task and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities and tasks of the Transportation Manager are:
- Leverage on transportation management processes to drive continuous improvement of cost and service levels and maturity of our transportation management.
- Implement specific projects and process improvements supporting the overall European Transportation Management strategy & within its framework on the assigned perimeter/scope.
- Address operational & quality issues with carriers & suppliers – act as first level escalation point from Customer Service and Warehouse Operations
- Review, monitor, and manage transportation activity and spend for assigned projects
- Design appropriate routing guide/change of mode to maximize costs and service levels.
- Support the overall European carrier management program for projects/carriers in scope. Contribute to the review meetings and performance scorecards
- Leverage best transportation practices across the Thermo Fisher enterprise and RSD Transportation Management Team
- Bachelor degree in supply chain/transportation/logistics, business logistics or economics/finance.
- 2 to 5 years of transport/logistics experience preferably with shipper, carrier, and/or consulting firm – either as transportation manager, transportation operations or transportation analyst
- Proven knowledge in parcel transportation with European and local providers;
- Working knowledge of applicable legislations (ADR, IMDG, IATA…) would be plus
- Understanding of complex, multi-modal transportation networks serving both domestic and export markets
- Willingness to take charge and initiate actions to drive and implement change, including with others
- Good organizational skills to plan, organize, and ability to cope with changing priorities
- Comfortable in a structured/procedural environments;
- Analytical qualities to make sound decisions decision, through the conceptualization and evaluation of different courses of action to meet or exceed operational goals;
- Interpersonal skills to deal effectively and cross functionality with different levels of seniority;
- Work effectively with others to resolve cross functional issues;
- Dynamic, high energy, willing to continuously learn and use collaborative approach to problem solving;
- Strong written and oral communications skills; Fluent in English, and preferably as local language (Dutch if located in NL, French if located in FR). French and German would be a plus
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join